Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Vermont

I've been having a lovely time here in the Green Mountains! There are lots of nice mountains to climb, great views, and lots of places to get a good meal. Right now I am sitting in Mountain Meadows Lodge where I just ate a fantastic veggie wrap and sat in a hot tub for an hour!
I would like VT more if there were less slugs. For those of you that don't know - I'm terrified of those slimy beasts. Every morning I have to pick 2-10 of them off my gear, shoes, and hammock rope. It is disgusting.
The other downfall in VT is the mud. The trails here get heavy use and there has been a lot of rain so there is a ton of mud.
Two days ago I had an extremely bad slug/mud day. I had to pick an unusually large number of slugs off my stuff in the morning. Then I slipped in a pile of mud. Mud all up my leg, butt, down my shoes --essentially everywhere. About 20 minutes later I started to slip again so I grabbed on to a tree. Apparently the world's juiciest slug lived exactly where I planted my hand, eck! About an hour after that I stopped next to a brook for a well deserved break. I sat on my backpack and BAM! I must have found the only bee around on that rainy day and planted my ass right on him. I got stung right on my butt cheek. Every step I took for the rest of the day hurt like mad. Now it's lunch time and I stop and make pasta. Everything is great, no slugs anywhere, I checked. I pick up my trekking poles, take ten steps and feel something slimy on my hand. A damn slug made a home in my wrist strap. I threw a temper tantrum until my friend got it off for me. About another 20 steps down the trail, SLIP! I fell straight on my stung ass.
Looking back on the day I can see how it could be very amusing, but I was not in the mood at that time. Now I have a giant bruise on my shin and a itching butt cheek to remind me of all the fun I had in Vermont.
1,697 miles down!

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like a rough time, but it's also somewhat hilarious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you're having a real slug fest, sorry couldn't resist. Hope things get/got better. Still hiking with Brother?
    Did you stop at the Vortex?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry baby girl but, I can't stop laughing.

    Love Mom

    ReplyDelete